This article is designed to provide all the information you need to install your Hotspring® Music System.
Download the Hotspring® Music System Installation & Instruction Manual Guide.
What you need to get started:
• This guide
• Your spa owner’s manual to reference the AUDIO menu navigation
• Your music source device
Components inside the spa.
CONNECTING VIA BLUETOOTH®
1. Power on your music device and the spa’s audio system in the AUDIO menu
2. Select “BLUE” or “BLUETOOTH” source setting in the spa’s AUDIO Setup menu
3. Pair your music device with “My Spa” in your device’s Bluetooth menu
4. Play your source device within 30 ft. (9 m) of your spa (Bluetooth range)— ensure there’s a clear line of sight
CONNECTING VIA IN-HOME DOCK.
1. Place your wireless dock near an electrical outlet within 150 ft. (45 m) of the spa
2. Connect power supply to the dock and then the electrical outlet
3. Pair dock channel (illuminated blue on back of dock) with amp channel via the spa’s AUDIO Setup menu
4. Dock your Apple® device—or connect other audio source via 3.5 mm audio cable to line-in port in back of the dock
• What is Bluetooth wireless technology?
A wireless radio technology used in phones, computers, automobiles, music players, and other devices that transmit data via a low power digital radio signal.
• What is the range of Bluetooth?
The Bluetooth technology published range limit is 33 ft. (10 m). However, always place the device with within 30 ft. (9 m) of the front of the spa to avoid passing the signal through water. The effective range will vary based on environment conditions, the strength of the Bluetooth radio transmitter inside your source device, placement of your source device relative to the spa, and other transmitting devices in the vicinity.
• Where do I put my music device?
The music system’s Bluetooth technology receiver is built into the amplifier which is located in the equipment compartment. For best results, place your music source within 30 ft. (9 m) and ensure it has a clear line of sight to the front of the equipment compartment. Note: When streaming internet music services like Pandora®, ensure your device is in sufficient range of WiFi or 3G/4G data service.
• What music devices are compatible?
Virtually all music devices with Bluetooth wireless technology are compatible with the wireless music system, i.e. iPod, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, MP3 players, smart phones, tablets, etc.
• Can I control my device from the spa?
Track and play/pause control via the spa control panel is not guaranteed when connected to an audio device via Bluetooth technology. This functionality will be present on some, but not all devices featuring Bluetooth wireless technology.
• How many devices can I connect via Bluetooth?
Multiple devices may be paired to the wireless music system, but only one music source can be “Connected” and play music at a time. Once a device is “Connected”, no other devices can connect to your wireless music system until you disconnect or move the connected device out of range.
• Will my phone ring through my spa?
No. Your phone’s ringer and voice conversations will not broadcast through the spa. Incoming calls, alerts and messages will temporarily pause your music playback.
In-Home Wireless Dock.
• What devices can I place in the dock?
The wireless music dock is a certified “Made for iPod”, “Made for iPhone” device. It features the Apple® 30-pin connector for the docking of most iPod and iPhone devices.
• Can I play other devices through the dock?
You can utilize the 3.5 mm audio line-in to play virtually any music device (home stereo, CD player, radio, etc.) that features an audio output jack. You will not have track or play/pause control from the spa’s control panel when using the line-in.
• Does the iPhone 5 work with the dock?
The wireless dock is compatible with iPhone 5 and newer generation Apple devices when using the Apple 30-to-8 pin Lightning adapter (not provided). Caution: there is no rear support for a device that sits above the cradle. Verify that your adapter will support the weight of the device.
• Can I dock an iPad?
You should never dock an iPad at any time. The dock’s recess does not accommodate the width of an iPad and there is no rear support when using an adapter like the 30-to-8 Lightning. You can cause damage to the dock, the iPad, and surrounding personal items. Utilize the 3.5 mm audio line-in in the rear of the dock to play music from an iPad.
Most troubleshooting issues can be solved by using this guide. Please review and perform as directed before contacting your dealer. Note: When reviewing the solution, follow the bullets/numbers first, then refer the corresponding letter, e.g. issue “A” to solution “A”.
Dock sync light flashing: unable to play music.
• Verify there is power to the spa
• Verify the channel setting at the spa matches the dock
• Power down and power back up the dock
• Power down and power back up the spa
Dock indicator and sync lights not illuminated
• Verify the wireless dock is plugged in and the outlet has power
Unable to pair my music device via Bluetooth
• Verify the spa’s audio system is powered on and source is set to BLUETOOTH
• Verify your source device is within 30 ft. (9 m) and has a clear line of sight to the spa
• Verify no other devices with Bluetooth technology are connected to the spa
• Turn source device’s Bluetooth setting to “off,” turn back on and restart connection process
Unable to control the track or play/pause functions from spa control panel when music is playing via:
B. Wireless dock
• When streaming music from the internet, functionality may be limited by your music device or your internet music service application
A. Due to the nature of Bluetooth technology, these functions are not guaranteed
o Disconnect and reconnect via Bluetooth to verify if that solves the issue
B. These functions are not available when using the dock’s 3.5 mm line-in first and second generation iPod devices when docked
o Unplug dock and plug back in
o Verify that the device is seated securely on the dock
Sound is muffled or distorted
• Verify the spa’s music volume is at an appropriate level
• Adjust your EQ settings: treble, bass, balance, subwoofer volume using the spa’s control panel
• Visually inspect your speakers for obstruction or damage— do not attempt to open or disassemble them
• Check the volume setting on the subwoofer unit to ensure it’s set between 1/2-3/4 volume
Unable to hear sound
A. When streaming music from internet
B. When connected via Bluetooth®
C. When using the dock
D. When using the spa TV
1. Verify all equipment is powered on
2. Verify source device is playing music
3. Verify your spa’s audio system is powered on
4. Verify spa audio source is correct, e.g. “BLUETOOTH”, “IPOD” (dock), “TV”
5. Verify range and clear line of sight to spa: Bluetooth = 30 ft. (9 m), dock = 150 ft. (45 m)
6. Adjust volume
A. Verify your source device has a strong signal
B. Verify your device is connected to “My Spa” - Verify your device’s volume is turned up
C. Verify your dock channel matches the amp channel
D. Verify your spa’s audio source is set to “TV” - Verify TV transmitter cables are secure
Sound is cutting out
A. When streaming music from internet
B. When connected via Bluetooth
C. When using the dock
D. When using the spa TV
1. Verify range and clear line of sight to spa: Bluetooth = 30 ft. (9 m), dock = 150 ft. (45 m) TV transmitter = 150 ft. (45 m)
A. Verify your source device has a strong signal - Verify other applications or devices aren’t using the internet - Try disconnection & reconnection
B. Disconnect and reconnect to Bluetooth - Move source device closer to the spa
C. Change channels on the dock and spa until clearest channel is found -Move the dock closer to the spa - Power down, power back up dock and retry
D. Verify TV transmitter cables are secure
SAFETY & COMPLIANCE INFORMATION.
WARNINGS and CAUTIONS.
• To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose any of the components to rain, moisture, splashing or near objects filled with liquids. Liquids can cause a failure and/or a fire hazard.
• The music dock’s power supply should be used indoors only. It is neither designed nor tested for use outdoors.
• Do not place your music dock or source music device on the spa bar top.
• Make no modifications to the product or accessories. Unauthorized alterations may compromise safety, regulatory compliance, and system performance, and will void the warranty.
• Do not place any flame sources, such as candles, on or near the music dock or your source music device.
• Do not store any component near chemicals nor use any chemicals for the cleaning of the components.
• This system was designed for hot tubs with control systems manufactured after September 2012.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, this is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation.
This equipment complies with the requirements of European Directives 2004/108/EC on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2006/95/EC Low Voltage, and 2011/65/EU RoHS 2. The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by Watkins Manufacturing is under license. iPod, iPhone, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Wi-Fi® is a registered mark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.